Gunnedah Golf Club is a quality 18 hole, par 70, bent green course located in Northwest N.S.W, close to the New England Highway. The course is flat featuring watered Kikuyu fairways, tees and greens, with an excellent reputation for quality golf in Northwest N.S.W. Set in the middle of a residential area the club has an abundance of trees accommodating a variety of bird species and the opportunity to spot a Koala wandering around the tree lined fairways.
The club offers a full time professional with all equipment and cart hire available.
Clubhouse facilities include full bar service and restaraunt dining. Special occasions, corporate days and weddings are held in a selection of multifunctional rooms, most of which provide superb views of the course.
The Gunnedah Golf Club is dedicated to improving facilities so that they are enjoyable, accessible and affordable to all members and their guests.
The Gunnedah Golf Club's progress can be largely attributed to splendid teamwork by a loyal band of enthusiasts to a sport which has made remarkable strides throughout Australia.
The club commenced play at the Recreation Ground within the Showground and Racecourse area in 1920 which occupied some 100 acres. The first president was Mr F.J.Steadman and the first honorary secretary Mr Darcy Rotton. It was Mr Rotton's enthusiasm which was responsible for the formation of the club, Incidentally he played off a handicap of plus 1.
The Gunnedah Golf Course was originally known as "Bacon's Paddock", it was a big,stony and often dusty paddock with Sand Greens.
The first clubhouse in the Showground area was constructed in 1927 and was later added to. In 1936 a general meeting was held to approve and acquire the present site owned by the club and the deposit for the club was supplied by various members and associates, the clubhouse was moved intact to where it stands today, it was then later extended in 1952.
Play commenced on holes 1-9 in 1937 and the remaining holes 10-18 were not opened for play until 1953, with the new design being the work of Mr Arthur East. Towards the end of 1964 nine holes had acquired Grass Greens. 1966 saw the completion of grassing the last nine holes.
In June 1955 a fire which started shortly before 11pm almost completely gutted the Clubhouse, heavy rain fell almost continuously during the efforts of Gunnedah Fire Brigade to fight the fire but did little to quell the blaze. In this fire many golfers lost their Golf Equipment which was stored below the Clubhouse.
July 1955 saw the finance and building sub-committee start with a proposal to rebuild the Clubhouse with the installation of a Cool Room.
In 1968 extensions to the Southern end of the club were completed with a Ladies locker room and dining room added, with more extensions being added in 1970 to the Western end. In 1970 a Dam was added to the Course on what is now the 4th hole.
Extensions were made in 1995 to the bar and poker machine area and the enclosing of the veranda overlooking the 18th green.
Major extensions and renovations to the Clubhouse commenced in 2011 and were completed in 2017, these renovations are both Golf and family friendly.